"The earth is the LORD's, and the fullness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein." Psalm 24:1
- Life on earth requires that the earth's orbit is at just the right distance from the Sun for liquid water to exist.
- The earth's rotational axis is at just the right angle from the ecliptic (orbital plane) so that temperature differences are not too extreme.
- Scripture reference: "Who laid the foundations of the earth, that it should not be removed for ever." Psalm 104:5
- Earth orbits the Sun at an average distance of 93 million miles. Since it is convenient to compare other orbits to earth's orbit, we refer to this distance as one astronomical unit, or AU.
- The Earth takes one year to complete an orbit of the Sun.
- Earth's solar day is 24 hours, and this is what we normally mean when we use the word "day" without any other qualifiers.
- Earth takes 23 hours and 56 minutes to rotate once, relative to the stars - a sidereal day.
- Earth is the only planet known to contain living organisms.
- Scripture reference: "For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else." Isaiah 45:18
- In virtually every environment on this planet we find creatures that flourish. This stands in striking contrast to the lifeless, barren surface on other planets.
- Many of Earth's other unique qualities seem to be specifically designed to support life.
- Over 70 percent of Earth is covered with liquid water. No other planet has such an abundance of water.
- Since water is an essential requirement for all know life, the presence of water on Earth seems to be a key design feature.
- Earth's atmosphere has a protective layer of ozone that partially blocks ultra-violent radiation. Such radiation can be very damaging to living tissue; so this too is a design feature.
- Earth has a strong magnetic field. This field deflects harmful cosmic radiation, protecting inhabitants on Earth's surface.
- The strength of the earth's magnetic field has been slowly but continually dropping since scientists have been able to measure it nearly two centuries ago. This drop is consistent with Earth's biblical age of around 6,000 years but is wildly inconsistent with the secular assumption of billions of years.
- Earth is tilted on its axis 23.4 degrees relative to its orbit around the Sun. This causes Earth to experience seasons.
- Scripture reference: "While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease." Genesis 8:22
- Earth is the only planet known to have plate tectonics, and no other known planet has such an abundance of water. It appears that God constructed Earth with the built in capacity to produce and experience a global flood.
- Scripture reference: Genesis chapters 6 through 9.
- Something to ponder: Of the planets in our solar system, Earth is uniquely designed for life, and the moon is uniquely designed to aid life on Earth. God chose to spend five of the six days of creation working on Earth, making it just the way He wanted it to be. All other planets were created in one day - Day Four (Genesis 1:14-19). It is as if God took extra care to created Earth.
Back to: The Solar System page
Back to Creation Testifies!
Site Design © RBT and Michael Yarnell | Creation Testifies! is a Ministry of Rogersville Baptist Temple. Content © 2011- Creation Testifies!