"And God made ... the lesser light to rule the night ..." Genesis 1:16
- "The moon and stars to rule by night: for his mercy endureth for ever." Psalm 136:9
- Earth has a large natural satellite - the Moon.
- Earth's Moon is the fifth-largest moon in the solar system.
- The Moon is over one quarter the size of Earth in diameter.
- No other planet has a moon this large in proportion to the size of the planet.
- The Moon aids life on Earth by producing tides. Tides prevent the oceans from stagnating, and they clean shorelines.
- The Moon also provides light at night - it rules the night (Genesis 1:16), being far brighter than any other regular night time celestial object.
- Earth is the only planet to have such a bright moon in its orbit.
- The lunar surface of the Moon is barren, rocky and cratered.
- The Moon has no substantial atmosphere, so its sky remains black even when the Sun is up.
- Without an atmosphere to redistribute thermal energy, the temperature on the Moon can exceed 200 degrees F during the day and drop to -280 degrees F at night.
- The Moon rotates slowly, taking 27.3 days to rotate once. This is exactly how long it takes the Moon to orbit Earth. For this reason, observers on Earth only see one side of the Moon.
- The Moon is both 400 times smaller and 400 times closer to the Earth than the Sun is. This means the Moon and the Sun have about the same average apparent size in our sky. This makes total solar eclipse possible.
- Earth is the only known planet that can experience eclipses where the Moon so precisely covers the Sun.
- The Moon moves away from the Earth by about 1.5 inches every year.
- If we extrapolate this effect into the hypothetical past, we find that the Moon would have been touching the Earth 1.4 billion years ago. Thus the Earth and the Moon cannot be older than that. Yet secular scientist claim the Earth and the Moon are over four billion years old.
- The evidence from the recession of the Moon is inconsistent with the secular age estimate.
- 6,000 years ago, the Moon would have been only 730 feet closer to Earth. So, lunar recession is not a problem for the biblical time-scale.
- Something to ponder: Evolution teaches energy + matter can create life/structure. Since the Moon gets the same energy from the sun the Earth gets, how come there is no life/structure being created on the Moon?
- The Moon is uniquely designed to aid life on Earth.
Back to: The Solar System page
Back to Creation Testifies!
Site Design © RBT and Michael Yarnell | Creation Testifies! is a Ministry of Rogersville Baptist Temple. Content © 2011- Creation Testifies!