Relativists believe that truth is "relative" - it varies from person to person. Relativism includes the idea that there are no absolutes. But the proposition that there are no absolutes is itself and absolute proposition.
Relativists assert that it is absolutely true that truth is not absolute. This a self-defeating philosophy. If relativism were absolutely true, it would lead to the consequence that it cannot be absolutely true.
So, if it were true, it would be false, therefore it is false.
Points to Ponder:
- A good worldview must be logically consistent.
- If one begins with a false assumption, one's conclusion can only be false.
- Is relativism logically consistent?
- "It is only my personal opinion."
- "Of course I am not judging anyone's behavior."
- "If you think it is alright, that's OK, but personally I am against it."
- "To each their own."
- "That's your truth, not mine."
- "It is true for you, but not for me."
Back to: World Views page
Back to Creation Testifies!
Creation Testifies! is a Ministry of Rogersville Baptist Temple. Content © 2011- Creation Testifies!