Meaning: Scientism is a worldview based on strict empiricism. It states that all knowledge is gained only through the scientific method and scientific principles. That all religious or philosophy based claims are refuted since they cannot be tested scientifically.
Points to Ponder:
- A good worldview must be logically consistent.
- If one begins with a false assumption, one's conclusion can only be false.
- There are many assumptions that are taken for granted with this worldview such as reason, knowledge, logic, senses, and the uniformity of nature.
Ultimately Scientism has no epistemology for anything, especially the empirical only justification it proclaims.
- Since Scientism claims all knowledge is gained through observation it fails on its own terms. Because not all knowledge has been observed there could be some knowledge gained outside of observation.
- Ultimately Scientism rejects anything not based in the material world. Since laws of logic are not material they reject them.
This leads to contradictions being valid meaning Scientism is true and not true, leading to absurdity.
- Is Scientism logically consistent?
Back to: World Views page
Back to Creation Testifies!
Creation Testifies! is a Ministry of Rogersville Baptist Temple. Content © 2011- Creation Testifies!